Albarino (Rias Baixas, Spain) 2005 - Burgans
Albarino is a great wine - full of flavor, dry, crisp clean. I can't say enough about this grape. This wine was quite enjoyable, although perhaps a bit young. I say this because it is a bit too alcoholic, but still delectable. That's right, I said delectable.
The flavors I got were pear, green granny smith apple, and peaches. All very ripe. The wine has a very nice dryness, yet it doesn't take away from the fruity quality of the wine.
The crispness of the wine makes it great to pair with food. I had it with a mix of items - lebanese, thai, and some italian cheese. It went well with just about everything except perhaps the spiciest of the thai (panang). The garlicky lebanese dishes didn't overpower the wine at all, in fact it managed to cut through the food.
As this post is starting to drag, I will simply say that for those who haven't had Albarino before, this is a good one to start with.
Update: Earlier I said this was a bit young and too alcoholic. I may have been a bit premature:
"AlbariƱo wines are particularly suited to seafood due to their bracing acidity (Jancis Robinson calls it "razor-sharp."). This grape's inherent tartness should be embraced in youth, for wines made from albariƱo do not age well, and the vibrant aromas begin to noticeably fade within months of bottling."
This wine truly is bracing/razor sharp (it does really help with the food). I stand by the notion that this is a bit more unbalanced than some of the other Albarinos I've enjoyed, but apparently that is not due to its youth.
The flavors I got were pear, green granny smith apple, and peaches. All very ripe. The wine has a very nice dryness, yet it doesn't take away from the fruity quality of the wine.
The crispness of the wine makes it great to pair with food. I had it with a mix of items - lebanese, thai, and some italian cheese. It went well with just about everything except perhaps the spiciest of the thai (panang). The garlicky lebanese dishes didn't overpower the wine at all, in fact it managed to cut through the food.
As this post is starting to drag, I will simply say that for those who haven't had Albarino before, this is a good one to start with.
Update: Earlier I said this was a bit young and too alcoholic. I may have been a bit premature:
"AlbariƱo wines are particularly suited to seafood due to their bracing acidity (Jancis Robinson calls it "razor-sharp."). This grape's inherent tartness should be embraced in youth, for wines made from albariƱo do not age well, and the vibrant aromas begin to noticeably fade within months of bottling."
This wine truly is bracing/razor sharp (it does really help with the food). I stand by the notion that this is a bit more unbalanced than some of the other Albarinos I've enjoyed, but apparently that is not due to its youth.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home