Oenophilius Rex

Monday, September 25, 2006

Malbec (Mendoza, Argentina) 2004 - Susana Balbo

Quick Note - this is actually a blend: 90% Malbec, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon.

This wine to me is a quintessential Malbec - full of possibility, but ultimately just a shade disappointing. I enjoyed this wine, as well as Malbec generally, but, like so many I've had, it lacks the little extra that would put it over the top.

Overall, this is an extremely drinkable wine. Garnett in color. "Medium-full" bodied - not huge, but certainly no slouch. It was definitely not overpowering or overly-alcoholic. Moderately dry, but soft up front. The structure is everything that's great about Malbec. Ridiculously smooth - I mean silk. It's both a plus and a minus. For all its smoothness, it seems to lack the structural complexity that really makes a wind stand out in my mind.

Flavors - dark red/purple fruits (someday I'll be able to say which ones - I'm going to say raspberry/blackberry). The oaking is evident but not overpowering. As it opened up I got some cocoa and tobacco notes.

As always, the bouquet is something I struggle with. I tried some nasal spray which helped me decongest, but in the end I struggled sniffing this wine out. The bouquet was at once pungent and non-descript. Maybe it's the fact that I have no nose, but I just couldn't pick out any traits in particular. Rich, ripe, fruity - all are applicable and as far as I dare go.

All in all - a solid wine. Enjoyable but not remarkable. I think anyone who drinks it will enjoy it. I definitely want to keep perusing Malbecs in hopes that I find something to blow me away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home